⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] request for new netCDF standart names

From: Bryan Lawrence <b.n.lawrence>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 18:31:09 +0000

hi Elke

I understand that the definition of forest is highly ambiguous (even in the
forest cover community), and I guess in a simulation, the definition of
forest will depend highly on the parameterisation. I also understand that
such differences wont matter when one modeller wants to compare their
parameterisation output with another, but it will matter when comparing with
or between observations.

This is not to say we shouldn't have the variable in the standard name table,
but more as an aide to memory that this will be another variable where there
ought (in the future) to have more metadata about what the variable actually
is. (Perhaps referring to a uri for an authorative description of what it
means in this case, which we can maintain in something approaching
perpetuity ... )

Cheers
Bryan