⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF2 and standard names

From: Gross, Tom <grosst>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 10:30:18 -0500

At the NOAA Coast Survey Development Laboratory, we have been developing
a tool to transform between different vertical datums such as Sea Level,
Mean Lower Low Water, NAD-83, NAVD 88 etc. etc.
http://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/csdl/Vdatum.htm
Given the wealth of datums available, I am of the opinion that a surface
such as, "sea_surface_height", should not include the datum in the
standard name. It is an attribute of the variable. I would much rather
have a codified attribute sea_surface_height:Datum="sea_level" . This
affords the ability to include the datum transformation variable to be
included elsewhere in the netcdf file
Variable ZETA(time,nx,ny)
   ZETA:Datum="sea_level"
Variable MLLW(nx,ny)
   MLLW:Standard_Name="Mean_Lower_Low_Water"
   MLLW:Datum="sea_level"
Variable NAD83(nx,ny)
   NAD83:Standard_Name="NAD_83"
   NAD83:Datum="sea_level"
This allows the user to transform ZETA out of "sea_level" to MLLW or
NAD_83 by a subtraction.
PS It is a very important fact that the MLLW datum is not spatially
constant. This is the whole problem with creating coherent digital
elevation models that join the NOAA/OCS hydrography with USGS topography
data.

Tom Gross
Chesapeake Community Model Program
ccmp.chesapeake.org