⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] proposals for new standard names (ECMWF-GCM)

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 09:47:26 +0000

Dear Beate

> dry_static_energy_flux_due_to_diffusion, T flux: Vert diffusion, W m-2
needs upward_ or downward_ as a prefix. We can include both.

> specific_humidity_flux_due_to_diffusion, Q flux: Vert diffusion, kg m-2
> s-1
We already have upward_water_vapor_flux_in_air, so I think this new quantity
should be upward_water_vapor_flux_in_air_due_to_diffusion. (It doesn't have
the right units to be a "specific humidity flux"; since specific humidity is
dimensionless, so a flux of it would have units m-2 s-1.) We can add both
upward_ and downward_.

> eastward_momentum_flux_due_to_diffusion, U flux: Vert diffusion, Pa
> northward_momentum_flux_due_to_diffusion, V flux: Vert diffusion, Pa
A momentum flux is called a stress in existing standard names. We have names
of atmosphere_eastward|northward_stress_due_to_gravity_wave_drag, so these
new quantities could be atmosphere_eastward|northward_stress_due_to_diffusion,
correspondingly.

OK
> water_evaporation_amount_from_canopy, Intercepted water evap, kg m-2
> liquid_water_content_of_soil_layer, Soil water, kg m-2
> surface_snow_melt_and_sublimation_heat_flux,Snow phase change energy, W
> m-2
> for evaporation from Snow (not Ice)
> surface_snow_sublimation_amount, Snow evaporation, kg m-2
I wish I could think of a single word for "melt and sublimation"!

OK except I think we should have _for_ instead of _of_. I propose that the
roughness length names ought similarly to have _for_.
> surface_roughness_length_of_momentum, surface roughness length momentum,
> 1
> surface_roughness_length_of_heat, surface roughness length heat, 1

> snow_basal_heat_flux, Snow basal heat flux, W m-2
Is this the heat flux into or out of the ground? That is, does it relate
specifically to snow? If not, we could relate this to the existing name
downward_heat_flux_in_soil. I would propose
upward|downward_heat_flux_at_ground_level_in_snow|soil
with the _in_ part indicating whether measured/calculated on the snow or the
soil side of the interface.