⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] newbie questions about degree_days

From: Bryan Lawrence <b.n.lawrence>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 07:35:11 +0000

Hi Keith

Nice problem. It goes to the heart of discussions I've been having on and off
with Jonathan and others over the last year.

My take on this is that the standard name (in CF language) is not immediately
comparable to canoncial names in other vocabularies. In particular, we make
use of variable attributes to fully characterise a variable.

For example, a variable much loved by the climate impacts community is T_Max
(over some period, a day, a month) ... and we use the cell_methods attribute
to define the averaging period but the variable has a standard name of
temperature.

Using that as a model, I would recommend introducing a new standard name of
degree_day, and using attributes to identify the threshold_temperature and
growing season period. I think this model would deal with the other examples
you introduce.

The question I would have then for our community is how best to use the
attributes. Is this a modification to the cell_method attribute (I would
argue that is the right place to put it).

It's on the to-do list for future CF versions how to make sure that other
vocabularies can interoperate with CF usage like this, and how to make clear
to users of the CF vocabulary how such variables depend on their attributes
as well as standard names to be fully characterised.

Cheers
Bryan

--
Bryan Lawrence
Director of Environmental Archival and Associated Research