⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] extended use of flag_values and flag_meanings

From: Bryan Lawrence <b.n.lawrence>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 10:02:13 +0000

Hi Jonathan, Rurkhardt

I think this is an issue that will come to us more and more ... so coming up
with a standard solution makes a lot of sense.

Firstly, I agree the file should be self describing, and I think the solution
you propose will be compact and appropriate. However I would recommend that
we *eventually* standardise the string values *and* the numerical encoding
values (ie the standard name system would have to include the values as well,
and the numerical corrrespondents).

In doing so we should follow the ISO extension model for enumeriations, that
is, not allow users to add their own additional enumerations (if they have
extra classes of land cover for example that are not in the standard), but
rather allow users to add their own long_names and enemerations which could
eventually become standardised ...

One might argue that if we have standardised the numerical encodings and the
values in the standard name system then we don't need to repeat it in the
file. However, I think it is a level of redundancy which costs very little,
makes the software easier to build, and provides a lot of future proofing, in
that folk can lay down files which use their own encodings but also have some
hope of different folks doing things that are comparable (in time).

Meanwhile, until we have the new standard name person in post, I think your
proposed solution is workable and most of what I suggest above can be put in
hold (until someone has the time to make it less incoherent).

Cheers
Bryan