⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] RE: agreed standard names

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 22:52:40 +0000

Dear Pepe

> Kd - Diffuse Attenuation Coefficient

> when we speak of Kd it specifically describes the attenuation of downward
> irradiance as a function of depth below the sea surface. So it only refers
> to a given radiometric quantity (i.e., it only refers to downward irradiance
> and not to radiance, for instance).

OK. Let's make all of attenuation/scattering/absorption coefficients state
radiative_flux i.e. irradiance instead of radiation. This would be more
precise.

> CDOM - Colour Dissolved Organic Matter
> But if you think 'Colour' arises confusion I am happy to leave the term out.

Thanks. I do think it is confusing if you don't really mean "coloured".

> Lr -
> Lr is a component of total upwelling radiance above the sea surface Lt. This
> component accounts for Lr plus Lw, where Lw refers to what comes from below
> the sea surface.

I wonder if you have different symbols from Mike Godin. He said
Lu=Lr+Lw
where Lu=surface_upwelling[_spectral]_radiance_in_air
      Lw=surface_upwelling[_spectral]_radiance_in_air_emerging_from_sea_water
      Lr=surface_upwelling[_spectral]_radiance_in_air_reflected_by_sea_water
Is your Lt the same as his Lu? Do you have a different decomposition from this?