⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF effort

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 09:11:48 +0100

Dear All

It will no doubt be evident to everyone that development is going rather
slowly with the CF standard. Requests for standard names and discussion of
extension to the conventions take more time to resolve than we would like.
It is very good, and welcome, that such requests are made, because they show
that CF is becoming useful to a wider community, but we need to move faster
in order to meet this community's needs.

At present there is no-one whose job is to work on CF. It is a "spare-time"
activity still. That's the difficulty. But it is very likely that within the
next few months, the position will improve, with appointment of staff to
support CF development. Everyone's participation in discussion will still
be needed, but with funded support we should make progress faster. I hope
everyone can be patient until then.

Again recognising that CF is serving a widening need and affects many groups
and applications, we have to make future decisions carefully. A proposal will
soon be made for the future governance of CF.

Cheers

Jonathan