⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] high cloud amount

From: Karl Taylor <taylor13>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 13:00:40 -0400

Dear Burkhardt,

I think the following is correct, but wait a week or so, to see if anyone sends
a correction.

  1) cell_methods:
> cloud cover over several layers is computed by using
> maximum_random_overlap which is very common in atmospheric models.
> However, this is not a valid CF-convention. What shall I do?

I believe that this would be reported as follows (assuming cloud fraction as a
function of layer is named "cl" and the vertical coordinate is "plev":

cl: cell_methods = "plev: sum (assuming maximum random overlap)"

You may place any text you want within parentheses following the method.

> 2) boundaries:
> the boundaries of the high/medium/low clouds in our model are (0 hPa,
> 400 hPa)/(400 hPa, 800 hPa)/(800 hPa, ps), where ps is the surface
> pressure. The issue here is that ps is forstly not a constant and
> secondly 2D. In the discussion below it is said that one can also use
> character type for the bounds. Thus would then

("top_of_atmosphere","400hPa")/("400hPa","800hPa")/("800hPa","surface_air_pressure")

> be an acceptable solution?

I'm pretty sure CF doesn't permit character type data for bounds; character data
can be used as "labels and alternative coordinates", but I'm pretty sure only
numerical values should be used for the bounds.

One option might be to choose a "surface" pressure well below ground (e.g. 1100
hPa). Clearly there are no clouds below ground, so the low cloud cover is
unaffected by the lower limit. Another option might be to choose a more
standard approx. surface pressure (e.g., 1000 hPa), but then explain in a
"comment" attribute associated with the variable (cl) that the low layer cloud
is for a layer extending from 800 hPa to the surface.

I can't think of any software actually making use of the bounds attribute (in
the case you bring up), except to perhaps label a plot. If that is the case,
then you might simply define an "alternative coordinate" as a string variable,
which might have values something like:

"high (0-400 hPa)", "medium (400-800 hPa)", "low (800 hPa - surface)"

I think Jonathan Gregory is away for a few days, so I would wait until he
returns to get his take on this.

cheers,
Karl Taylor

dimensions:
   plev = 3 ; // number of trajectories
   times = 20 ;
   max_len_parcel_name = 64 ; // max length of trajectory name
variables:
   float temperature(parcel,times) ;
     temperature:coordinates = "parcel_name lat lon" ;
   float times(times) ;
   char parcel_name(parcel,max_len_parcel_name) ;
   float lon(parcel,times) ;
   float lat(parcel,times) ;