⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Proposed Standard Names

From: Chris Webster <cjw>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 06:25:46 -0600

> The various types of direction discussed - platform heading, true
> heading and course - are they all by intention the *same* quantity,
> ascertained by different means? If so, they probably should have the
> same standard name.

I'm not sure I know the answer to this. They all imply where we are
going or want to go....except maybe for the backwards thing.

The platform_heading (magnetic) and true_heading (corrected for
magnetic) measure the same thing. One might determine the difference by
looking at the units, degree for p_hdg and degree_T for t_hdg. Though
based on looking at all the manuals for the instruments which measure
these, the word platform implies magnetic. track_angle or
course_heading seems not the same quantity, e.g. if you are going
backwards or flying into a head which is faster than you are flying.

> platform_speed:m s-1

This also probably needs clarification. I brought up true_airspeed
several months ago. So is platform_speed really ground_speed ? How about:

platform_ground_speed
platform_true_air_speed
platform_indicated_air_speed

Wouldn't ships also have a ground_speed and a water_speed ?

--Chris