⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] stations and trajectories

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 18:10:24 +0100

Dear John

> Its not clear to me how a program can
> automatically see that this is a station dataset, and figure out what
> the station dimension is, etc. What do you think?

One answer is, does it matter? I mean, if you want to plot it, or do some
computation with it, you will probably tell the program which variable you
want. One way to tell, however, would be by the station dimension
not having a coordinate variable, or having one with no units.
If you wanted to be more positive about it, you could require the station
coordinate var to have a particular standard_name, but for that we would need
to decide whether we needed a convention for its values.