⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF convention for time variable dimension

From: chelle gentemann <chelle>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 16:45:55 -0700

In the CF conventions document:

>Time axis:
>
>double time(time) ;
> time:long_name = "time" ;
> time:units = "days since 1990-1-1 0:0:0" ;

When I try to read a netCDF file that has been written with the recommended
convention, it won't always work. Matlab yes. NCBROWSE yes. Fortran NO.
In Fortran, you cannot have an dimension indice and a variable with the
same name. I can easily program around this but not in an automated way
for an unknown file format...
The program cdf2fortran which is linked to on the UNIDATA website will take
any netcdf file and create a fortran program to read it. This does not
work with CF compliant data because of the way you have defined
time(time). For that matter, lat(lat) also would break it...

Is this a known problem?
I can just change the time indice to ntime so
time(ntime) and then it will work with C, fortran, ... you name it.
But then I won't be CF compliant....

Chelle