⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] stations and trajectories (the OTS standard)

From: Luis Bermudez <bermudez>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 09:33:29 -0700

Dear All,

I have followed this discussion and have the following comments:

More than one vocabulary will always exist. Hard to say it, but is
true. I agree with Roy that what we need is a mechanism to link two or
more vocabularies. Of course with more than an "equivalent" relation.

SKOS is under development but we can learn a lot from them. In SKOS the
following properties are available: exactMatch, narrowerMatch,
broadMatch, mimorMatch, majorMatch and AND and OR. At MMI, we have
three relations implemented :narrowerThan, broaderThan and sameAS.
First two from DC and the last one from OWL. For interoperability, we
need the following:

- Unique identifiers for each term in a vocabulary ( which we have most
of the times) and I strongly suggest URN for this purpose.
- Able to match terms from two vocabularies with "sameAs" and this
implies that the units must be the same. What happens if the units are
different (e.g. m vs Inches) ?. Then units should have also a unique
identifier, or consistent string representation (in each system) to be
able to reconcile these differences.

Cheers,

Luis