⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] more netcdf attributes

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 08:05:27 +0100

Dear Ethan

> I'll put together another table trying to map the proposed attributes to
> existing CF attributes and we can use that to talk about this issue.
Good - that will be useful.

> Do you guys see combining of data types in the same file much?
Not often, but from the Hadley Centre models we can produce files containing
both daily gridded data and daily timeseries.

> we are hoping to make harvesting the discovery level
> information easier. So that applications harvesting this information
> won't have to understand all the coordinate variables and geolocation
> information, the geospatial_ attributes would allow for that information
> to be bubbled up to a higher level. I agree that containing this
> information in the dataset may not always be the best idea. There need
> to be ways of bubbling this information up that are outside of the
> datasets.
It seems more robust to me if the metadata-harvesting program can be taught
to understand CF so that it can extract the geospatial information from the
variables in the file. That would be more robust than depending on the writer
of the dataset to create these extra attributes, and for subsequent processing
programs to ensure they stayed correct.