⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] propsed new due_to_process

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 22:28:40 +0100

Dear Jamie

I think these processes do need to be named and we could add them now to the
guidelines. However, I don't think we need to worry *too* much about it until
you or someone else requests a standard_name which uses them. We could spend a
lot of effort trying to foresee things in detail, and I think it's easier to
wait until a need arises before we make definite decisions.

I tend to feel as well that it doesn't matter if some phrases may cover a lot
of things, so long as they are needed and can be defined. GCMs really do have
processes "due to diffusion" which are comparable among models, so it is
appropriate to use this phrase in standard names. However in other applications
which identify various kinds of diffusion, more precise standard names would
be used instead. The principal purposes of standard names are to facilitate
comparison of data from different sources, and to distinguish the various
quantities from any one source. We need only be as precise as these purposes
require us to be.