⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] proposed additions to the standard name table

From: Kettleborough, JA <J.A.Kettleborough>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 12:16:32 +0100

Hello,

hopefully these are fairly straight forward since they are mainly transformations or qualifications of existing names (and I hope I haven't made any slips with the units).

product_of_geopotential_height_and_omega: Pa m s-1
product_of_northward_wind_and_specific_humdity:m s-1
product_of_specific_humidity_and_omega: Pa s-1
square_of_geopotential_height: m2
surface_temperature_where_land: K
surface_temperature_where_open_sea: K
tendency_of_air_density: kg m-3 s-1
tendency_of_air_temperature: K s-1
tendency_of_specific_humidity: s-1
product_of_air_temperature_and_omega: K Pa s-1
product_of_air_temperature_and_specific_humidity: K
square_of_air_temperature: K2
square_of_lagrangian_tendency_of_air_pressure: Pa2 s-2
product_of_eastward_wind_and_upward_air_velocity: m2 s-2
product_of_northward_wind_and_upward_air_velocity: m2 s-2
product_of_upward_air_velocity_and_air_temperature: K m s-1
product_of_upward_air_velocity_and_specific_humidity: m s-1
square_of_upward_air_velocity: m2 s-2
tendency_of_upward_air_velocity: m s-2

Given many of these are generated from existing standard names a natural question to ask is whether you should allow software to auto generate new names. (sorry if this has been raised before - I couldn't see it in a quick scan of the archives, but I could have missed something). So if I have a 'product' operator that takes CF objects as its operands should it be able to generate a new standard name and the relevant units? Or should it only tag the product with a standard name if one already exists in the standard name table?

Thanks,
Jamie