⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] What do models assume for the shape of the Earth?

From: toyoda at gfd-dennou.org <toyoda>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 07:20:05 +0900 (JST)

> >The amount of shift should be equivalent to the
> difference
> >between geodetic and geocentric latitudes.
> According to
> >Snyder's book, it is 11'40" (21km) at 45 degree
> latitude
> >(in Clarke 1866 ellipsoid but not so much different
> in
> >others for two or three-digit precision).
> >

> which Snyder book is this? which page ?

John P. Snyder, 1987: Map Projections - A Working Manual.
US Geological Survey professional paper; 1395, pp.383.

I was talking about Table 3 on page 18.

> >In my knowledge, the reversed conversion (ellipsoid
> >sphere) has not been performed in data assimilation
> of
> >numerical weather simulation. Meteorological
> community
> >naively references location using
> latitude/longitude
> >coordinates, ignoring ellipsoid by which the
> coordinates
> >are defined (in short, people get observation and
> lat/lon,
> >then put them into model at the same lat/lon).
> Thus the
> >model data basically reflects observations on
> coordinates
> >on ellipsoid, regardless the coordinate system the
> model
> >use.
> >

> so observations are always using geodetic latitudes
> ?

Yes, in my experience.

There are two major source of horizontal location
information of meteorological observation: station table
(mainly compiled by WMO) and satellite observations
(usually locations are coded within data). The latter
could be more important for this issue. I don't think all
they use the same ellipsoid or datum, but I haven't heard
any of them are using geocentric latitude.

--
TOYODA Eizi <toyoda at gfd-dennou.org>
Environmental Remote Sensing Center