⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] What do models assume for the shape of the Earth?

From: Karl Taylor <taylor13>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 09:51:10 -0700

John, et al.,

I agree with Jonathan that the metadata in files should not include
detailed model documentation, but should instead point to that
documentation. That is what can be done with the CF global "references"
  attribute. Examples of the kind of information that would be usefully
included in the the actual model documentation can be found at:
http://www-pcmdi.llnl.gov/ipcc/model_documentation/ipcc_model_documentation.php

With respect to the shape of the Earth in global models, it is
invariably taken to be spherical. This approximation works well (and
allows g, the acceleration due to gravity, to be taken as a constant)
because to good accuracy "effective gravity" (i.e., Newtonian gravity +
centrifugal "force" due to the Earth's rotation) is very nearly
perpendicular to the Earth's surface. (The Earth has effectively
deformed from sphericity so that this is true.)

Larry Gates has recently examined again this approximation in J. Atmos.
Science, 61, 2478-2487, 2004. Here is part of his abstract:

With the exception of two terms in the meridional and vertical equations
of motion that are unique to the spheroidal system, all of the metric
and rotational terms in the spheroidal system correspond to those found
in the familiar spherical formulation, but now have coefficients that
are functions of both the spheroidal latitude and elevation. The unique
spheroidal terms arise from the resolution of the difference between the
directions of apparent gravity and Newtonian gravitation, which is
neglected in the spherical formulation.

Karl