⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] GIS issues

From: Steve Hankin <steven.c.hankin>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 14:28:21 -0800

Hi Russ,

All that you have said is true and nicely summarized in your concluding
word, "CF and GIS conventions might evolve more easily if they were
independent rather than tightly coupled". But isn't this approach
perilous for interoperability? (ah, the epic battle to support the forces
of convergence over the forces of divergence ...) Moving to greater
independence between the encoding of model grids and GIS data is not a
desirable thing if it means that GIS clients are not able to access model
grids and scientific anal&viz packages are not able to access GIS data
without each application requiring two separate software development
tracks.

The direction that Jonathan's email was leading seemed promising: how to
augment GIS codes (which require external tables) with extra content in
order to make them self-describing. (but not easy in general!). Another
approach entirely is through client libraries based upon a rich data model
-- i.e. that Unidata (or others) would provide multi-language APIs so that
applications need not be aware of the specific details of the netCDF
conventions. These approaches might be blended -- e.g. could we envision
well-supported libraries in multiple languages (packaged with the netCDF
client code) that could return CF-style coordinates given inputs of GIS
codes and parameters? (I assume we all agree that Java-only solution
would not be sufficient.)

    - steve