⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Horizontal Data Coordinate System Definition [long]

From: Gross, Tom <grosst>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:37:58 -0500

The idea that coordinate specifications can be fully described by a code
which refers back to a remote repository of meta-data is very much the
same philosophy adopted years ago by the WMO's GRIB standard. When I
first encountered GRIB I was amazed and frightened. But more and more I
am hearing cyber-infrastructure gurus recommending the existence of
meta-data repositories for data discovery as well as data descriptions.
So I think it is a valid idea to assume the existence of such data
repositories. EPSG might be only one of many (including a NOAA CF
repository?). However I still do not like to have to rely upon them. I
hope that we can go down the middle, and allow the use of code names for
exotic transformations to the "Aztec Oblique Rhombodal Orthogonal" while
allowing simpler more common ones to include, as attributes, all the
metadata needed to decode.

Tom Gross
Chesapeake Community Model Program
ccmp.chesapeake.org