⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] variable missing "coordinates" attribute

From: John Caron <caron>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 14:12:13 -0800

Richard P Signell wrote:

>John,
>
>I happen to know this user ;-) and yes, he was just sloppy on this one. It
>might be he didn't notice that "topo" was lacking the coordinates attribute
>because he was using IDV. IDV is smart enough that if it finds the
>"coordinates" attribute specified for one variable, it uses those for other
>variables that have the same dimensions (in this case "j" and "i") yet
>don't have the "coordinates" attribute specified. So it sort of cleans up
>after sloppy people.

Hi Rch, sorry to blow your cover ;^)

The IDV is using the netcdf-java library to figure out these coordinate
systems. Version 2.1 uses a "greedy" algorithm that assigns all possible
coordinate axes to a variable, then tries to seperate them into coherent
systems if needed.

In netcdf-java 2.2 im trying to do things right whenever possible, and
CF is supposed to be our exemplary way of doing things, so i was trying
to interpret strictly to CF, and thus removed the above algorithm that
was responsible for catching the slop.

anyway, ill probably add back in something to deal with the case when
the "coordinates" attribute is missing, but when its present, i will
take it as deliberate on the part of the file writer.