⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] "High cloud amount"

From: V. Balaji <v.balaji>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 15:00:52 -0500 (EST)

Jonathan Gregory writes:

> Dear Balaji
>
> > What happens when I also want to define "middle" and "low" cloud
> > amount? Do I define a single field with 3 Z levels?
>
>Yes, that's the idea. Alternatively, if you want high, medium and low cloud to
> be stored in separate data variables, you can have three different size-one
> dimensions for them, or you can use scalar coordinate variables.

I'm not sure how to do them in separate data variables... wouldn't it
be confusing to have three variables all bearing the standard name
"cloud_area_fraction_in_atmosphere_layer"?

> > Is it possible somehow to associate the words "high", "middle" and
> > "low" with the three layers? This is common parlance.
>
> Yes, that could be done, by defining an auxiliary coordinate variable with
> the dimension of Z and of character type, containing the descriptive strings.
> However, I think we ought to insist that the Z ranges are precisely defined,
> and not try to standardise what high, medium and low cloud mean. These are
> vague terms, and without precise Z ranges attached to them, I don't think
> there is sufficient metadata to allow you to decide whether quantities from
> different sources are comparable. What do you think?

Correct.

--
V. Balaji                               Office:  +1-609-452-6516
Head, Modeling Systems Group, GFDL      Home:    +1-212-253-6662
Princeton University                    Email: v.balaji at noaa.gov