⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Need for a new vertical coordinate definition:"Oceangeneralized sigma coordinate"

From: Steve Hankin <Steven.C.Hankin>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 12:30:40 -0800

Rich Signell wrote:

> Steve Hankin wrote:
>
> >As Rich says, getting this "right" is very important to the HYCOM modeling
> >community and others. Outputting the Z field as a 4-dimensional variable has nasty
> >consequences in file sizes, access demands, etc.
> >

> Don't you need to specify Z as a 4D variable in a model like HYCOM,
> where the vertical coordinate depends on density information that may
> not even be saved in the output file? This isn't that nasty, is it?
> The Z field just becomes the same size as other 4D fields like
> potential temperature, salinity, etc.

Hi Rich,

Ah, the hazard of hasty responses -- trying to do several things at the same time. What
I said was full of baloney. Thank you for quickly pointing it out. For HYCOM we *do*
encode the sigma information in a 3D variable already. And it is in addition
time-dependent, so it is actually 4-dimensional Z coordinate information.

I'm afraid that I have injected confusion into the conversation. My regrets. My goal
was to leave the door open for conversation at a later time, when there would be a
chance to think about the issues. I withdraw the garbled thoughts I entered into the
discussion -- please "strike my last message from the record".

    - steve

Steve Hankin, NOAA/PMEL -- Steven.C.Hankin at noaa.gov
7600 Sand Point Way NE, Seattle, WA 98115-0070
ph. (206) 526-6080, FAX (206) 526-6744