⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] U and V "grid relative" velocities

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 14:17:49 +0000

Dear Rich

> It seems the proper way to specify this in CF is through the use of
> u:standard_name="sea_water_x_velocity"
> v:standard_name="sea_water_y_velocity",
> Is this right?

Yes.

The file might also contain northward and eastward velocity components.
Velocity components relative to lat and lon and relative to the grid are
different quantities so need different standard names, I think, just like
northward and eastward components themselves have different names.

Cheers

Jonathan