⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] RE: Conventions for Unstructured Grid Data

From: Gross, Tom <grosst>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 11:31:02 -0500

Rich and CF'ers:
  Big topic. But maybe not so big. My FEM files are a subset of the
rest of the world, of course, but they cover most of the ground. I
opened up a question with CF, months ago, about a standard name for the
connection array which defines a triangle mesh. I give it the long name
"Horizontal Triangular Element Incidence List". And since it is an
array of integers which are indices into the other arrays I felt it
needed units which say so and which differentiate number conventions of
0:n-1 or 1:n . So units="index_start_1"
We also need the boundary description with similar units,
long_name="Boundary Segment Node List"

These two arrays are really all that is needed to uniquely describe an
unstructured mesh. Well the Element incidence list needs a dimension of
n,3
for triangles, or n,4 for quadrilaterals etc. n,4 handles mixed meshes
if you fill the triangle's fourth index with -1 or some such flag.

My web page and link to my SourceForge project to build these files:
http://ccmp.chesapeake.org/HYDRONetCDF/HYDRONetCDF.html

Tom Gross
Chesapeake Community Model Program
ccmp.chesapeake.org