⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] quantities requiring parameters to define them

From: Brian Eaton <eaton>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 11:24:43 -0600

Hi Jonathan,

I think you present a nice summary of the pros and cons of formula_terms
vs. ancillary_variables with standard name modifiers. I especially agree
with the following:

> Either mechanism could be
> used in practice. Neither is exactly analogous to what we need, which is to
> record parameters (global or a function of independent coordinates) that are
> needed to define the quantity in the variable.

If forced to chose between these options you've convinced me that
formula_terms is more appropriate. But I feel it would be better to define
a new attribute, or possibly modify (again) the standard name string to
point to additional metadata required to unambiguously define a quantity.
This issue seems too important to try and force a solution that doesn't
quite fit into the existing attributes. It's important for ease of use
that the attributes have clearly defined purposes. I find having the
purpose of an attribute depend on its context (e.g., attached to a
dimensionless vertical coordinate, or not) to be confusing.

Brian