⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] example for CF docs

From: Steve Hankin <steven.c.hankin>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 17:08:06 -0700

John Caron wrote:

> Hi Steve:
>
> CF has actually started down the path of specifying the projection
> parameters (see Appendix F), which we are taking from FGDC. So I was
> really asking for a double check on a "best practice" of how all the
> pieces should fit together, and an example added to section 5.6. We are
> currently writing code that creates CF netcdf datasets out of GRIB, so
> it seemed like a good time to double check.

Hi John,

Well, I guess my face should be a bit red that I was not even aware of Appendix
F! Obviously, I am not the right person to comment on whether you have applied
the Appendix F syntax correctly. My discomfiture is offset by the good news
that Appendix follows exactly the strategy of drawing from an existing standard
(FGDC). Great minds do think in the same gutter, I guess.

> BTW, as a philosophical matter, I would consider the specification of
> the projection as fundamental, and the specification of the explicit
> coordinate in lat, lon as redundant, because you can figure out the
> values from the projection, but not the other way around. This is not to
> say that I disagree with the decision to require the lat,lon values but
> not require the projection, however. But i would (and do) recommend
> adding the projection info. If the software knows how to use it, it
> makes visualization of the grid easier, since model grids are regular in
> the projection coordinates, and so they constitutes a kind of "natural"
> coordinate system. So I would advocate that CF recommends adding
> projection info.

I agree with your conclusion (that CF recommends adding projection info) but
qualify it by saying "where projection information is applicable". Only a
fraction of the many tri-polar, coastline following, etc. curvilinear grids in
use by modelers represent named projections. The dependence on named,
standardized projections has been a serious limitation of (say) GRIB from the
modelers' perspective. From this pov the projection name is a convenience
label that should be used to indicate special, standardized instances of
curvilinear coordinate systems.

    - steve