⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Radiation standard names

From: Roy Lowry <rkl>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 16:31:47 +0100

Hi there,

I am currently starting to dig around the radiation parameters in the
BODC dictionary and as this is an area of significant overlap with the
atmosphere (we have both measurements in the atmosphere and below the
sea surface) it struck me that doing whatever I can to rationalise the
terms used with the CF standard names would be a good thing. Problem is
I looked at the radiation section in CF and rapidly realised that I had
insufficent experience to do this with any authority. So, I thought I
would explain what I've got in the atmosphere and see if anyone on the
list can suggest corresponding standard names:

I have the following terms:

'downwelling vector irradiance'

This is the measurement made by a cosine-collector light meter either
as discrete wavelength values or as an integral value from 300-700 nm
termed 'PAR'. Depending on instrument type it is expressed either as
energy per unit area or quanity of photons per unit area per unit time.

'downwelling scalar irradiance'

This is the measurement made by a hemispherical collector (sometimes
termed 2-pi). Again I have discrete wavelength, PAR and data as
energy/photons.

'downwelling radiance'

This is the measurement made by a light sensor at the bottom of a tube.
 Again I have discrete wavelength, PAR and data as energy/photons.

Any advice on changes to these terms to enhance compatability with CF
would be gratefully received.

Cheers, Roy.