⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] detaching the standard name table

From: Russ Rew <russ>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 11:27:52 -0600

Hi,

Roy Lowry wrote:

> I am developing some ideas about how semantic web technology could be
> used to manage the problem of cross-dictionary ontologies based around
> the idea of users setting up RDF container resources holding references
> to the terms across dictionaries that the user regards as synonymous,
> which should get over the problem of different perspectives of 'fit for
> purpose'. We're going to thrash this one around as part of EnParDis.

I recently saw a presentation at the NASA 2004 Earth Science
Technology Conference by Rob Raskin (NASA JPL) of "Enabling Semantic
Interoperability for Earth Science Data":

  http://www.esto.nasa.gov/conferences/estc2004/papers/a5p1.pdf

which discusses a similar approach and mentions CF.

At the same conference, James Frew (UCSB) mentioned a name scheme he
is advocating in digital library work based on a server/authority/name
triple, that in turn is based on James Kunze's ARK IETF Draft for
persistent naming:

  http://www.cdlib.org/inside/diglib/ark/arkspec.pdf

The latter contains discussion of some of the relevant issues, for
example:

   Names must be chosen with great care. Poorly chosen and managed
   names will devastate any persistence strategy, and they do not
   discriminate based on naming scheme. Whether a mistakenly re-
   assigned identifier is a URN, DOI, PURL, URL, or ARK, the damage --
   failed access -- is not mitigated more in one scheme than in another.
   Conversely, properly managed names will go much further towards
   safeguarding persistence than any choice of naming scheme or its
   underlying protocols.

but I can't say I agree with the specific recommendations, such as

   ... names that look more or less like numbers avoid common problems
   that defeat persistence and international acceptance. The use of
   digits is highly recommended, mixed in with non-vowel alphabetic
   characters if compact names are desired.

That's more or less the GRIB strategy of using numbers for everything

--Russ

Russ Rew UCAR Unidata Program
russ at unidata.ucar.edu http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/russ