⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] detaching the standard name table

From: Haaring, P.A. <P.A.Haaring>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 14:50:05 +0200

Dear Jonathan, Steve, Roy ...

I share Jonathan's concerns. Overlapping name tables should be avoided.

Dividing the current standard name table into mutual exclusive domains with
each an accepted "moderator" group would be a step forward in extending the
CF model. There would be a small fixed core of shared common standard_names
implicit to the CF standard. Extra domains could be declared as needed.

These extension tables should follow the existing naming rules and should be
registered in a persistent central registry, e.g. at ucar or maybe unesco.
- I recently learned UNESCO is setting up such a registry which allows
scientific communities to maintain their register with name table(s). -

And I would like to suggest the use of the namespace principle used in xml.
This would allow for several namespaces to be used in the same file, e.g.

// global attributes:
                :Conventions = "CF-1.0" ;
                :standardNameExtensions =

"ns:met="http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cms/eaton/cf-metadata/meteo_names.xml,
ns:hyd="http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cms/eaton/cf-metadata/hydro_names.xml"

// Steve's example moved to an extension table
        float tnt(latitude, longitude) ;
                tnt:long_name = "tendency of air temperature due to diabatic
processes" ;
                tnt:standard_name =
"met:tendency_of_air_temperature_due_to_diabatic_processes" ;
                tnt:units = "K s-1" ;
// example below is based on an entry in the current BODC dictionary
        float (latitude, longitude)thar ;
                thar:long_name = "Tritium/hydrogen atomic ratio" ;
                thar:standard_name = "hyd:3H1HMXTX" ;
                thar:units = "Tritium units (10**18H/Tr)" ;
// time is in the core standard name table
          double time(time);
                        time:standard_name = "time" ;
                time:units = "hours since 1999-01-01 00:00" ;

best regards,

Pieter Haaring

        Dutch Ministry of Transport, Public Works and Water Management
          National Institute for Coastal and Marine Management (RIKZ)