⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Detaching Standards Name Table

From: Steve Hankin <Steven.C.Hankin>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 10:07:25 -0700

Hi Roy, Ag, et. al.,

Just want to go on record as **fully** supporting your concerns that we not
promote "a culture where individual groups are encouraged to develop their
own vocabularies". One of the goals in trying to separate CF development
(structure, syntax, semantics) from standard names (metadata - standardized
vocabularies) is to allow the development of the standard names table to
become more fully integrated into the vigorous community process that
already exists for defining standard vocabularies. Roy is one of the
leaders in that effort -- and his offer to map the BODC dictionary to the
Standard Names schema illustrates the positive prospects for separating
standard name development from CF per se.

Going the next step -- perhaps the XML schema for describing standard name
vocabularies should be conceived in a manner that promotes the consolidation
of separate vocabularies. XML "includes" can be used to build a new
vocabulary that is the fusion of two (or more) previously separate
vocabularies with audit trail tags used to indicate where some names have
been deprecated in order to reconcile differences.

    - steve