⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] rainfall

From: Latham, SE <S.E.Latham>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 16:49:57 +0100

Hi,
Following your discussion on precipitation and rainfall:-

>> 3. Jonathan, I note that we have precipitation and snowfall amount,
>> but
>> not rainfall amount. I guess it's the difference between precip. and
>> snowfall. I think (in the standard name table) our "help" comments
>> should indicate that precipitation amount, rate, etc. includes all forms
>> of precipitation, just to make sure that no one stores rainfall under
>> precipitation. Do you think this is a good idea?
>
>Yes. I will note that we should add that remark. We should also include
rainfall_amount anyway.

>Cheers
>Jonathan

Could you clarify something for me please. If I have a variable called
'rainfall in period' with units of mm, would the CF standard term now be
lwe_thickness_of_rainfall_amount with canonical units of 'm'?

Regards,
Sue Latham
email: S.E.Latham at rl.ac.uk
Phone: +44 (0)1235 445406