⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] RE Array Subscript Convention

From: Tom Gross <Tom.Gross>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 11:34:12 -0500

A universal convention might be simpler, but that is the sort of assumed
data typing that gets us into trouble later on. Giving an explict name
to the index type variable would be better. Also we should anticipate
that the same data file might be read by both C and Fortran programs in
the future. If they can test for the variable type when inputing the
data then no mistakes will be made.

I second the proposal for :
index_start_0 index_start_1.

tom gross
NOAA/CSDL

Dear All

> I think this is best handled by adding standard names since the issue is
> how to describe a quantity. I propose adding the standard names
> index_start_0, and index_start_1.

I certainly agree this is a possible approach, but if we could adopt a
universal convention it might be simpler. If you write a program to store
indices in a data variable, you have the choice of numbering from 0 or 1;
this choice is independent of whether the program itself is in C or Fortran,
I should imagine.

Cheers

Jonathan