⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] restrictions on title and history attributes

From: Karl Taylor <taylor13>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 08:28:42 -0800

Hi all,

In the conformance and compliance document
(http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cms/eaton/cf-metadata/conformance-req.html), it
states that "the title and history attributes must only be used as
global attributes." I thought our general philosophy was to allow the
user to add any attributes he wanted to as long as they didn't conflict
with those discussed in the CF-conventions. In files I am creating, I
use history as a global attribute to describe the history that applies
to all the fields in the file. But I want to use a similar attribute to
  describe in some cases how an individual variable was processed.

For example, if one of the variables in the file is total precipition,
it would be useful to note that the total precipitation in this file was
computed as the sum of the large-scale precipitation and convective
precipitation contained in a different file. I think this is part of
the history and since it applies only to this variable, I would like to
have the freedom to attach a history attribute to the variable without
violating the convention.

I'm not arguing here to make the "history attribute attached to a
variable" part of the CF convention, but just to allow a user to include
this attribute if he chooses.

Any objections?

Karl

P.S. This information could also be reasonably included in a "comment"
attribute attached to the variable, but I am reserving that attribute
for another purpose.