⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Stereographic projection

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 08:14:46 +0100

Dear John

Thanks for your comments on polar stereographic. I agree that the projection
should be renamed "stereographic". As the proj notes suggest, the names of
the parameters seem rather variable. I'd prefer their polar stereographic set:

latitude_of_natural_origin
longitude_of_natural_origin
scale_factor_at_natural_origin
false_easting
false_northing

because it's complete set, including the scale factor, and because it avoids
using the word "center", which is liable to cause spelling mistakes by non-US
users.

I think we should note that the longitude_of_natural_origin is the straight
vertical longitude from the pole of the FGDC terminology, and that polar
stereographic is a special case with latitude_of_natural_origin being 90N
or 90S.

Cheers

Jonathan