⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] proposed first non-beta version of CF

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 07:45:05 +0100

A new beta-release (1.0-beta5) of the CF standards document is now complete.
We propose that this version should become the first non-beta release of CF,
in early October. If you have any comments on things which should be corrected
or changed in this version, please make them to the email list by the end of
September. Once we have made a non-beta release, presumably we will not want
to make any backward-incompatible changes.

However, additions to the standard will of course continue. In beta5, many of
the changes which have been discussed and agreed on the email list have been
implemented, as described in the document listing changes between beta4 and
beta5, which can be found under the CF home page
(http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cms/eaton/cf-metadata/).
There remain some to be incorporated, in particular the treatment of forecast
time, and how to record operations such as covariance in cell_methods. There
are also some grid mappings which have to be added. Proposals for further
additions are welcome as usual on the email list. Work will start on a new
release once 1.0 is agreed.

The standard name table is now available in XML and linked from the standards
document. Its contents are the same as those of the HTML version under the
home page. The HTML version also has links to the guidelines for the
construction of standard names, and to tables of equivalences of standard
names with GRIB codes and AMIP names. The table will continue to be added to
as requested through the email list. There are a few standard names soon to be
added (on radiance and radiative forcing). There will be a large number of
additions arising from the EU PRISM project in the next few months.

Comments on this process or any aspect of the development of CF are welcome.

Jonathan Gregory
Brian Eaton