⇐ ⇒

Fwd: Antwort: [CF-metadata] standard name proposals

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 10:57:16 +0100

Dear Burkhardt

Thanks for your advice and help.

> A remark in the
> info column (for e.g. surface downwelling flux density) of the standard
> name table would be helpful.
I'll do that.

> Radiative flux is radiative energy per time (units: W). Radiative flux
> density is radiative energy per time and area (units: W m-2)
In physics, yes. But popular opinion was that flux should be m-2 in standard
names. I have recently added a comment in the ? info for all standard names
of "flux" making this point. Of course this creates problems when we actually
want terms for flux, but this is less common. For meridional heat flux (PW),
for example, we have used the common term "heat transport".

> By the way I have taken the definitions from an old copy of "Terminology
> and units of radiation quantities and measurements, Radiation Commission
> of the IAMAP, ed. E. Raschke, 1978.
That sounds like a helpful book. I will see whether we have a copy! The
Meteorological Glossary (UK Met Office) has often been helpful in sorting
out terms for standard names too.