⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard name proposals

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 10:12:34 +0100

Dear Burkhardt

> Irradiance is defined as "Radiant flux of any origin INCIDENT onto an area
> element".
> Radiant flux density is defined as "Radiant flux of any origin CROSSING
> an area element".
> Both have units W m-2.

>> Is there any difference between irradiance and radiative flux density?

That's interesting. I've just received other advice from a radiation modeller
that irradiance and radiative flux density are really the same thing, with
irradiance being a newer, recommended, term. I agree that I have only seen
irradiance used in the context of incident flux, as you suggest.

In practice, people *do* describe an incident flux as "surface downwelling
[or downward, or total downward] flux [density]", which apparently is the
same thing as irradiance. If that is true, I think we should not define
standard names for irradiance, or alternatively define them as aliases to
standard names of radiative flux. What do you think?

Thanks. Best wishes

Jonathan