⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard name proposals

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 18:13:13 +0100

Dear John

I'm just adding your standard names to the table, as we have discussed. (Brian
and I have been setting up a system to make it practically easier to do this.)
In doing so, I find I still have questions about two of them:

upwelling_spectral_irradiance. Is there actually any distinction between a
radiative flux and an irradiance? Both are in W m-2. Would this in fact be
the same as surface_upwelling_spectral_radiative_flux_in_sea_water or _in_air?
If so, the latter would be better because we already have many names with
radiative_flux, but none with irradiance.

downwelling_spectral_radiance: Since a radiance is from a particular direction
(being per steradian), I am not sure how it can be "downwelling", which is
less precise than a direction. Won't the direction tell you from which
hemisphere (up or down) it is coming?