⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Vertical Coordinate Systems

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 18:12:23 +0100

Dear Juerg

OK, we'll call it "sleve" if that's commonly in use. Thanks for explaining
its purpose.

I agree that psurf would be better than ps. I am not sure whether we should
change it at this point - Brian may have a view. I don't think p0 is the same
as ptop, though. p0 is simply a reference pressure which allows a(k) to be
dimensionless.

A vertical coordinate variable is identifiable by having units of pressure,
a positive attribute, or from its standard name. I don't think it should be
difficult to find such a variable among those listed in the coordinates
attribute, should it? I am not really clear what a "generalised" height is.
If it is actually height (m) its standard name will be "height".