⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Vertical Coordinate Systems

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 09:16:10 +0100

Dear Juerg

atmosphere_sleve_coordinate: This looks OK. Presumably you are using it
yourself and therefore need it to be added? Can you describe what the two
surfaces zsurf1 and zsurf2 mean in physical terms? If we add this, I would
prefer that we call it something more explicit such as the title you have
given it ("smooth level"), because "sleve" is cryptic.

general height coordinate: I don't think we need to add this. The formula
terms mechanism is for providing various coordinates which are combined through
a formula to give a vertical coordinate. Your general height coordinate
variable is a ready-made vertical coordinate variable that depends on xyzt
indices - no computation is necessary. I think that such a variable can just
be named in the coordinates attribute.

add a time index to the definition of hybrid height: I agree, we can do this
for generality.

naming and ordering: Where do you think we have been inconsistent about the
names? I don't think the order matters. The terms in the formula_terms can
be put in any order. To specify a particular order would be less convenient
for the data-writer and probably not useful as it would very likely not always
be followed.