⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Example of forecast data

From: Stephens, A <A.Stephens>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 08:09:25 +0100

Dear Brian,

I assume you therefore stand by your previous example of the
"forecast_reference_time" used as below:

variables:
  double atime(atime)
    atime:standard_name = "forecast_reference_time" ;
    atime:units = "hours since 1999-01-01 00:00" ;
  double time(time);
    time:standard_name = "time" ;
    time:units = "hours since 1999-01-01 00:00" ;
  float temp(time,atime,level,lat,lon);
    temp:long_name = "Air temperature on model levels" ;
    temp:standard_name = "air_temperature" ;
    temp:units = "K" ;
data:
  time = 24 ;
  a_time = 0 ;

I can see the advantage of this being that any non-CF compliant software
still gets to read the data following the standard time dimension, even if
it cannot understand the concept of a forecast. I also take your point that
using 'forecast_validity_time' does not add any new information. As long as
both time axes are fully defined with a standard units attribute I am happy
with the description.

Kind regards,

Ag