⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Re: scratching my head re CF-checker on packed data

From: Rosalyn Hatcher <rosalyn.hatcher>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 09:18:33 +0100

Dear John,

Ooops, sorry my fault, you are not missing anything at all! I'd got the
'and's and 'or's the wrong way round.

This has now been rectified and the script will be copied to the BADC
checker website as soon as possible.

Best Regards,
Ros.

> Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 15:46:53 +0000
> From: John Evans <johnevans at acm.org>
> To: cf-metadata at cgd.ucar.edu
> Subject: [CF-metadata] scratching my head re CF-checker on packed data
> Message: 1
>
> I've been running a few files thru this, and I'm persistently having trouble
> with packed data, scale factors, and add_offsets. For example, here is part
> of a netcdf file that gives trouble.
>
> short pitch(time, rdi_depth, lat, lon) ;
> pitch:long_name = "ADCP Pitch" ;
> pitch:scale_factor = 0.01 ;
> pitch:add_offset = 0. ;
> pitch:units = "angular_degrees" ;
>
> I'm getting these messages...
>
> ------------------
> Checking variable: pitch
> ------------------
> ERROR: scale_factor and add_offset must be of type float or double
> ERROR: pitch must be of type byte, short or int
>
> I've reviewed both the CF notes on packed data as well as the NetCDF best
> practices, I don't see why this should be an error. Having the attributes as
> floats results in the same message. Am I missing something blindingly
> obvious here?

Rosalyn Hatcher     Computing Techniques
Met Office, Hadley Centre for Climate Prediction and Research
London Rd, Bracknell, Berks. RG12 2SY
Telephone: +44 (0) 1344 856197           Fax: +44 (0) 1344 854898
E-mail: rosalyn.hatcher at metoffice.com    http://www.metoffice.com