⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] scratching my head re CF-checker on packed data

From: John Evans <johnevans>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 15:46:53 +0000

I've been running a few files thru this, and I'm persistently having trouble
with packed data, scale factors, and add_offsets. For example, here is part
of a netcdf file that gives trouble.

    short pitch(time, rdi_depth, lat, lon) ;
        pitch:long_name = "ADCP Pitch" ;
        pitch:scale_factor = 0.01 ;
        pitch:add_offset = 0. ;
        pitch:units = "angular_degrees" ;

I'm getting these messages...

    Checking variable: pitch
    ERROR: scale_factor and add_offset must be of type float or double
    ERROR: pitch must be of type byte, short or int

I've reviewed both the CF notes on packed data as well as the NetCDF best
practices, I don't see why this should be an error. Having the attributes as
floats results in the same message. Am I missing something blindingly
obvious here?