⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] 2D latitude, longitude coordinates detection

From: Brian Eaton <eaton>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 16:25:36 -0600

Hi John,

You are correct that the latitude and longitude auxillary coordinate
variables should be identified by using the coordinates attribute.

The warning that the CF checker should have given is that latitude and
longitude are multidimensional coordinate variables whose name matches the
name of one of their dimensions. We recommended against this in the CF doc
to avoid the potential confusion with coordinate variables as defined in
the netCDF User's Guide. That confusion is manifested in this file's
metadata as apparently the author expects the latitude and longitude
variables to be identified as coordinate data since the variable names
match dimension names.

I believe the checker is correct in saying there are no errors since it can
only check for syntax errors. There's no way for it to know that the
author intended certain variables to have latitude and longitude
coordinates. The checker could be improved, however, to give "expert
analysis" of the metadata. For example, in addition to reporting syntax
errors, it could give a summary of the coordinates associated with each
variable. A data writer could use this information to verify that his
intentions were being correctly expressed in the metadata.

Brian