⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Example of forecast data

From: Stephens, A <A.Stephens>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 15:42:52 +0100

Dear Jonathan and Brian,

Apologies for the delay in carrying on this conversation, busy times.

I agree that we should consider this issue as analogous to that of the sigma
vertical levels. What we have is two new auxiliary coordinate variables,
forecast_reference_time and forecast_validity_time. They can be identified
by their standard names and should not cause a problem for software.
However, if they have standard_names other than "time" then some current
software will miss assigning the time dimension unless there is an axis="T"
attribute. Having said that, if there are two time dimensions then most
software will fall over anyway trying to understand forecast files.

For ultimate flexibility, the forecast_validity_time should have a units
attribute entirely independent of the forecast_reference_time units
attribute and is therefore a fully fledged time axis in its own right.

Do we want to encourage people who have one analysis and 3 forecast steps
(00,06,12 and 18hr time steps) to use the old system of just one linear time
dimension (which would lose valuable metadata regarding the relationship
between the time steps) or should they follow the 2 auxiliary coordinate
variable approach? I would suggest that in the long run they want to do the
latter but right now they would have more luck doing the former.

Another related issue brought up by a colleague the other day is encoding
ensemble simulations. It's a similar issue to forecasts in that you have
duplicate variables at the same space/time coordinates. Do you think it is
effectively the same issue as forecasts or do we need an extraneous
description for ensemble runs?

In summary, I like the standard names of forecast_reference_time (i.e.
analysis time) and forecast_validity_time. Just to raise it as a
possibility, these could also be "time forecast_reference" and "time
forecast_validity" in the same way as we discussed encoding errors and
uncertainties. It's probably not the right solution.

Sorry for more questions than answers (as usual!).

Kind regards,

Ag