⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Exner function

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 09:24:50 +0100

Dear Chris

> The non-hydrostatic atmospheric dynamical core under development at the GFDL
> uses the Exner Function as a prognostic variable. Can we have a standard CF
> name for this variable?

Yes, we should. I understand it can either be defined as dimensionless
(p/p0)^(R/Cp) or multiplied by Cp. If that's right, how should these two
definitions be distinguished, do you think?

Also, is the p0 a universal standard value? If not, there is the same
arbitrariness about this as about potential temperature, say. If you wanted
to be specific about the reference pressure, you could attach a size-one
dimension whose coordinate value specified it. We would need a standard_name
to identify this too.

Thanks for raising it. Best wishes

Jonathan