⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Example of forecast data

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 12:28:00 +0100

Dear Ag and all

Yes, I agree, the scheme with an index dimension (Ag's option 2, Russ's case
illustrated by Brian, (iv) in our earlier list) should be included in CF for
use when there is a set of forecasts from various analysis times. I would like
to propose a new standard name of forecast_validity_time to use instead of
plain time in this scheme.

It seems excessively complicated to me to use this scheme when there are a set
of forecasts from a single analysis or a set of analyses with the same validity
time. Can't we use simpler schemes?

(a) Single analysis time, multiple forecast periods. Two options have been
proposed. I suggested having a size-one analysis (forecast reference) time axis
and a separate validity time axis. Brian suggested having just the latter axis
and encoding its units with analysis time as the time units reference time.

(b) Single validity time, multiple analyses. I would propose the reverse of (a)
i.e. a size-one validity time axis with a separate analysis time axis. I can't
see a nice analogue to Brian's suggestion.

For Ag's case of a set of analyses I think I would use a single time axis with
standard name forecast_reference_time instead of time, as it's more informative.

Cheers

Jonathan