⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Example of forecast data

From: Stephens, A <A.Stephens>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 15:35:44 +0100

Dear Jonathan,

I agree that using the size-one axes is a sensible way to denote the
metadata and the four examples seem sensible.

I think the panacea is a metadata description (and software analysing it)
that could allow combinations of forecasts and analyses to be compared that
all represent the exact same time-step (in realtime). Such as:

20030101 12:00 analysis
20030101 00:00 analysis 12hr forecast
20030101 06:00 analysis 6hr forecast

I think the key will be how software can deal with it. Most of the packages
I am familiar with do not understand the concept of forecasts and they just
reduce a forecast step to a time-stamp and forget the relationship to an
analysis. I have e-mailed the cdat-discussion list to enquire whether cdat
has a way of dealing with forecasts.

Kind regards,

Ag
Ag Stephens Ph : +44 (0)1235 446220