⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] bounds

From: John Caron <caron>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 09:21:48 -0600

Bryan Lawrence wrote:

>Hi Folks
>
>Speaking as a person who has done budget studies in the past, I think exact
>comparisons are the way to go ... not only in the variables, but in their
>coordinates ...
>

>>What would be a "contrived" example where 1E-5 would not work ? We are
>>not trying to preserve numerical results in the face of complex
>>algorthims, just trying to answer the question if the bounds are
>>continuous.
>>

>Ok, if my cells are in the mesosphere of an atmospheric model, particularly
>one that includes the troposphere, then the cells are going to be pretty
>deep, possibly a couple of orders of magnitude in difference in pressure
>coordinates .... if I then couple on a thermospheric model, and I'm stupid
>enough to carry on using pressure as the vertical coordinate, then my cells
>will become many orders of magnitude apart ... I can imagine failing the
>above equality test in that situation ... even when the cells are contiguous
>... other coordinate systems at that altitude may have even more problems.

well, russ has convinced me that the tolerence testing algorithm can be
non-trivial, and i actually cant come up with a non-contrived use case
as to how the two numbers could be generated by different processes. So
i will withdraw my objection to exact testing.

having said that, my instincts as a numerical programmer are never to do
exact testing on floating point, and in my heart of hearts i think the
right thing to do is to use a good-as-possible tolerence test. Even
when that might fail on some extreme case, the way to fix that is to
use a CF convention which just explicitly says "non-contiguous
boundary", so that the tolerence test is bypassed.

>As a personal aside:
>

>>Someone has tried to create a CF netcdf file and bungled it, by not
>>getting the coordinate bounds correct. So I am going to use NcML to fix
>>the problem, by adding some of the values in "by hand".
>>

>I know you are using ncml to generate catalogues, and so I can see the
>incentive for *fixing* the ncml associated with files , however, if folk are
>using the ncml to instantiate code for doing things with the data based on
>the ncml, I think it would be dangerous to rely on "by-hand-fixes" in
>the markup that are not representative of the actual data files ...
>
>.... having said that, I know about real users and what they do ...

what we are seeing a lot of in THREDDS are files that are meant to be
COARDS compliant, but made some mistake. Or they have no coordinate
variables or Conventions at all, but those can be found and added easily
enough. The "NcML Dataset" is a way to fix those mistakes or add the
missing info. Its true that someone trying to fix the problem might also
make some mistake, but if the whole thing is transparent, someone should
be able to find the problem and collaboratively fix it. at least thats
the hope.

I would expect NcML Dataset to be used mostly by data providers
themselves in their data servers and catalogs, who are making their
archives available and want to fix their past sins. We are experimenting
with retrofitting datasets into COARDS and CF Conventions, for example.

I hope to have some decent web pages up soon that will explain the
basics, in case anyone wants more info. Note that this part of NcML is
still alpha, although we hope to call it beta soon.