⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Encoding Errors on variables in CF

From: Stephens, A <A.Stephens>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 09:43:47 +0100

Dear all,

I like Jonathan suggestions:

> * Point from a variable to its associated ancillary data
> variables (error
> variables, data quality variables and others not yet thought
> of) through a
> blank-separated list of variable names in a ancillary_data
> attribute. Be
> aware this link might get broken.

There needs to some way of linking them and this sounds reasonable to me.

> * Give the ancillary variables a standard_name prefix of
> "ancillary_data_for_".
> They should also have all the metadata of their parent
> variables, so they are
> independently fully self-described.

This prefix is suitable as it is very general and can therefore catch other
data that we have not yet thought about.

> * Give them also an intent attribute with a standardised
> value to define their
> kind of ancillary data, and other attributes such as
> error_multiplier if
> required to be precise.

The 'intent' attribute would work well with the general prefix
'ancillary_data_for_'.

> * Use attributes flag_values and flag_meanings to provide
> interpretations of
> ancillary variables containing flag data.

Again, useful and not too convoluted.

Ag